Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Too Much of a Good Thing

Portion control, portion control, portion control. That is all I have to say. For the past month we have been eating all fresh foods and it has been wonderful. I have seen the weight go down and it is so encouraging, but I know there are still some things I need to improve upon. The fist step is to stop eating when I am comfortable. Do not overstuff yourself with food. Yes Americans seem to "get away" with this quite often where every meal is a king's feast, but it doesn't have to be. Food is for sustenance and nutrition. It is not a hobby. Food should be pleasing to the pallet, but it shouldn't be an emotional bind. The key to any weight loss is self control. Being able to just say no, I don't need that, and walk away. I am pleasantly surprised at how easy it is for me to pass all those baked goodies and processed sweets and not even bat an eye. I know they are bad for me, and will make me feel rotten, so I just avoid them. My downfall now seems to be just saying enough. I am loving all this good food we are making, but again, portion control. Now that doesn't mean say, this meal you can have a cup of this 2 tbsp of this and a tsp of this. That in my mind is a little much. Eat when you are hungry and stop when you are comfortable. Not full. It will also help to cut back on indigestion. So don't overstuff yourself, it isn't necessary.


Overstuffing also leads to getting hungry sooner. You're body realizes that you don't have that "full" feeling and you start munching thinking that you need that feeling back. You don't.
Also, don't wait to eat till you are ravenously hungry. Have munchies on hand to hold you over and keep you comfortable. But that doesn't mean mindlessly snacking all day either.

Second goal is to not eat after 7pm. This gives your food time to digest before you go to bed. Sleeping on a full stomach is not only uncomfortable, but is definitely not the best thing for your intestines.

So whether you are out and about or eating at home, keep in mind that food is to sustain your life, not entertain you. If you need entertainment get out and go for a walk or go to the park, something active. Your body will thank you!


Picture retrieved from http://slenderherbs.com/weight-loss-lose-weight-inspiration/food-is-my-sustenance-not-my-friend/ on July 3, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment