Saturday, July 7, 2012

Fresh Avocado Guacamole Dip

I am thoroughly enjoying going GF. I am discovering all of these simple new amazing recipes. Today, I discovered avocados. YUM! Also known as an alligator pear. It is so versatile and great on salads, dip, tacos, and even in simple recipes that require a stuffing or sauce.

Just like every other fresh food, the key is knowing how to pick it and prepare it. Choosing an avocado can be tricky, I have been fooled on what I thought was ripe, but was not even close. The method I discovered that works best is to first look for one that is semi smooth, not huge bumps on it. Then gently press on the skin. It should give just a little. Too hard means its not ripe. If its mushy, it is too ripe. If you can see the "meat" moving around when you press on it, it is too soft. I have not yet discovered if color has anything to do with it?


 I bought two avocados today from the grocery store. One was absolutely perfect, the other was almost ripe. So I stuck it in a brown paper bag to sit for a day to soften some more. Looking forward to tossing it up into a guacamole dip tomorrow.




After you select the perfect avocado(s) take a sharp butcher knife and cut the avocado in half moving around the seed that is in the center of the fruit. Then twist the two halves to separate.


Then stick the seed with the knife and pull it out. If the fruit is too ripe, the seed will sometimes fall out.

Then with a smaller pairing knife, cut slits in a checkered pattern going the length and width of the fruit.

Then take a spoon and scoop out the insides. If it is not ripe enough it will be hard to cut and scoop, if this happens, put in a baggie and let it sit. Sprinkle lemon juice on the meat to keep it from browning.



Mash up the chunks then add the seasonings, and enjoy! 


Recipe for guacamole dip.

  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/2 red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
  • 1-2 serrano chiles, stems and seeds removed, minced
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of fresh lime or lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • A dash of freshly grated black pepper
  • 1/2 ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped

Today I cheated and used a packet of guacamole seasoning that I had in my pantry. It was GF and did the trick. Quite yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! This looks great! I love fresh guacamole/avocado type dips.

    ReplyDelete