Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fried GF Pickles

Fried pickles, oh yes I did it. :) Some think gross, others its pure heavenly bliss in your mouth. Whatever your opinion is on them, these were simply amazing. I couldn't make them fast enough! The first couple tries I just couldn't get it right, I either burnt them or they weren't done. So third times the charm. :)

By now, you can probably assume that all of my meals are GF. Regardless of what the title is. I must say I am getting pretty good about finding substitute recipes for all those wheat filled recipes. 

The first attempt was with pickle spears. That didn't work at all. So I sliced up large pickles super thin which seemed to do the trick. 

First step. Get a deep pan/skillet put enough oil in them so the pickle slices can float. I used about two cups of coconut oil. Adjust depending on what kind of pan you are using. 

Get one bowl for your eggs, water, and lemon juice, mix really well. Then another bowl for your crumbs, spices and flour mix well. 


One Egg
3 TBSP Water
1 TBSP Lemon Juice (optional)

1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup GF Bread Crumbs
Sprinkle in Red Pepper Flakes or any other seasoning you would like to add to them. 




We had a huge jar of the large whole pickles.  Slice two pickles super thin then toss them in the egg mix bowl. I just let them sit there while I was heating the oil. Once the oil is up to temperature you can start frying them. (My oil was a little over 300'F) . Do the slices one at a time or they will stick to each other in the flower mix. Then drop them in the oil, making sure they aren't sticking to each other. I had about 7 in the pan at a time. Once those were done, I would add more. They will get a golden brown and a little puffy. 


Use a slotted spatula to fish them out of the oil and put them on a paper towel to drip dry. Then enjoy! 

You could easily use pickles that are already sliced in a jar, dill, sweet, whatever sounds good to you. We just used what we had on hand. :) 

Now some of you may be thinking, FRIED! PICKLES! UNHEALTHY! AHHH!  Well, yes they are fried and pickles have lots of salt and No I wouldn't recommend eating them daily, but hey, who says you can't have a fried pickle every now and again? By using coconut oil and GF ingredients it cuts down on the fatty unhealthy quality that you would find at the fair. So no, I am not fixing a decadent salad here, I am simply enjoying some homemade Gluten Free fried pickles :) 

1 comment:

  1. Just tried Fried Pickles for the first time recently and I LIKED THEM!!!
    How fun to have a GF recipe for them. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete